Chocolatey layered cake

HAPPY BIRTHDAY gorgor!! Last Tuesday was my Bro-in-law’s birthday and I baked this for him! Chocolatey layered cake. Super simple and easy....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY gorgor!! Last Tuesday was my Bro-in-law’s birthday and I baked this for him! Chocolatey layered cake. Super simple and easy. All you have to do is to bake the cake and stack them together. It is a very forgiving chocolate coating and it’s pretty simple to apply this coat on the cake. The original recipe (adapted from cookiefleur) calls for a steamed chocolate cake. But I was still madly in love with the “Everyday Chocolate Cake” that I used in my Chocolate Mousse and Blueberry Layered Cake, so I replaced the steam Chocolate with the Everyday Chocolate Cake. The cake is so rich and moist!! As the Chocolate Coating uses condensed milk(which is already very sweet), I cut down on my sugar for my cake recipe.However, I think it is still too sweet. I’ll reduce the amount of sugar further in future. I baked my cake in an 8X8 inch square pan and divided the cake into two equal halves (4X8 inch). My cake is pretty short. So if you want a higher cake, you probably have to double the amount of ingredients for the cake.




1) For the Cake:

Ingredients:
- 45g all purpose flour
- 10g Cocoa powder
- 1/2tsp Baking powder
- 55g Dark Chocolate
- 100g butter
- 60g caster sugar (I'll reduce further in future)
- 2 eggs

Steps:
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Grease an 8-inch square tin and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.

Measure the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Use a wire whisk and whisk the dry ingredients together until they are all well-mixed and evenly distributed.

Measure the dark chocolate and unsalted butter in bowl and microwave until the chocolate n butter melts. Microwave on medium high with an interval of 15-30s. Stirring at each interval.

Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes to cool down slightly (the eggs will scramble if added to a hot mixture).

Crack in one egg into the chocolate mixture. Whisk the mixture (yes, same wire whisk!) for 30 seconds until it is fully incorporated. Whisk in the second egg, and then whisk in the vanilla extract.

Sift a third of flour mixture into the chocolate batter and folding gently using a large metal spoon or rubber spatula. until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated.

Transfer the cake batter into the lined cake tin. Bake for 15minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Cool the cake in the tin for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack and let it cool completely.

Making ahead:
Make the cake 2 – 3 days in advance and keep in an air-tight container at room temperature.


2) Chocolate Coating
Ingredients:
-½ Can of Condensed milk. ( I used low fat. Haha!)
-½ tsp Vanilla essence
-¼ cup canola Oil
-¼ cup of cocoa powder (sift the cocoa powder. I only had about 45g of cocoa powder. So, I added some dark chocolate until the total weight is 60g)
-¼ tsp salt

steps
Combine the sifted cocoa powder, condensed milk and canola oil.

Stir over low heat till mixture is smooth and shiny, making sure to stir all the time to prevent burning.

Add salt and vanilla essence. Stir well.

Let it cool a little before use.

Assembly
Apply chocolate coating. Stack the cake together. Pour chocolate coating all over. My chocolate coating hardens a little because it stayed for abit longer at room temperature. Quickly apply it while it's slightly warm. Enjoy.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Useful post, cheers! Could you let me know about the 2nd section much more? Take a look at Website traffic Reloaded Evaluate

    ReplyDelete