Rum n Raisin cake

Baking at night is a dangerous move. Esp to your waist line. There is poor lighting. Your pics wouldn't appear nice. The most fatal move...

Baking at night is a dangerous move. Esp to your waist line. There is poor lighting. Your pics wouldn't appear nice. The most fatal move is to eat yr bakes at NIGHT. Yr bakes are screaming for you,"eat me! Eat me!!" how cld you resist the temptation and excitement to try your new recipe. But it's a MEGAKILL To your waist.. I just baked my rum n raisin cakes. I have been eyeing on that since I saw them at mykitchensnippets. Her rum and raisin cakes are so lovely. But the top of my cake cracked into a volcano while baking. Can someone pls tell me how to achieve a smooth and even texture? I halved the recipe. I converted mine into metric units. For the original recipe, pls click here.
Ingredients ( This is halved the original recipe. I made some slight changes to it) ^^

1/2 cup raisins
90ml rum
113g butter – room temperature
100 gram sugar
2 large eggs
140 gram flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp grated orange zest
30ml cup milk.



1. Pre-heat the oven to 180degree C.Line and butter a loaf pan. Sieve together the flour, baking powder and salt and set it aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the orange zest and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Add in the flour mixture in 3 batches alternately with the rum and milk until well combined. Fold in the raisins. Mix well.
4. Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for abt 30mins until golden brown skewer inserted into cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let it cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto the rack and allow it to cool completely before cutting into it.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Hello! I don't like to bake at night either because the lighting's so poor all my food photos look weird. But I do like to measure all my ingredients at night, so the next day I just have to start baking my cake! :)

    There are several reasons why the crack, it may be over-beating of the butter-sugar-egg mixture; or the oven is too hot, which resulted in the cake rising too fast. I always like to drop the cake tin (with the cake batter inside) two to three times on the table counter because it helps to even out the air bubbles and getting rid of excess ones, resulting in a more even rise (in my opinion). Hope it helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasline!
    Thanks for the advices! I think i overbeat the butter-sugar-egg mixture. But how do you know when it is sufficient? Good idea, I shall measure my ingredients at night too. So it'll save alot of time when i bake the next day! Thank you!!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for trying out the recipe. When I bake this cake I used an 8" x 8" square pan so there were plenty of space for the cake to spread out. I too have the same problem if I bake any cakes using a loaf pan. But I kinda like the crack top looks though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gertrude,
    Yea, thats true. I dont seem to have this problem when i bake my cakes using a square pan. Thank you for the advice! I'll note it down right away!! :)

    ReplyDelete