Mini Fruit Tarts

This shall be my last bake before cny ( i hope!!!) I have been baking quite often and it's kinda draining my allowance, time and sleep...

20130125-091704.jpg

This shall be my last bake before cny ( i hope!!!) I have been baking quite often and it's kinda draining my allowance, time and sleep away. Chocolate chip blondies were supposed to be last bake but i just couldnt resist the temptation to bake when i am at home. Anyway, fruit tarts sits at the top of my to-bake-list. I have baked fruit tarts several times but still unable to get a satisfying attempt. I prefer my crusts to be thick. The sweet crust pastry is able to make about 30 thick mini fruit tarts. I made the pastry cream twice. Failed at my first attempt because i didnt control the fire and my custard sat on the stove for too long. In the end, the custard became more like egg curd. The second attempt was better than the first. Actually i am looking for  a lighter pastry cream recipe. I read somewhere that i can add some whipped cream to my pastry cream for a lighter version. I've yet to try but i will definitely do it one day. My fruit tarts looked so dull. Fruit tarts are usually colourful. I wanted to get so many fruits in the supermarket but i am pretty broke this month so i ended up with blackberries and kiwi. Strawberries and blueberries cost $6 + each!!! Do note that they should be only assembled when you want to serve them and serve chilled. I baked the tarts and prepared the cream the day before and stored them in an air tight container. Brought the tarts to school for my friends. As there's no fridge, they were at room temperature for more than half a day and they were quite soft by the time i gave to my friends. I guess if that's the case, prolly can extend baking time by slightly longer.

Ingredients(Sweet Crust Pastry) 

65g butter
65g margarine
65g icing sugar
250g plain flour
1/2 egg
1tsp vanilla extract

1. Measure butter, margarine, icing sugar and plain flour in a large mixing bowl. 
2. Use yr fingers, incorporate the cubes of butter and margarine into the flour and sugar by rubbing your thumbs against your fingers until you end up with a fine, crumbly mixture.  
3. Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the mixture and gently work it together till you have a ball of dough.
4. Let it rest for ten mins. 
5. Divide the dough and press them into tart trays. (I didnt have tart trays so i substituted with mini muffin tins.) Prick some holes with fork.
6. Bake for about 12-15 mins, until golden brown. 

Ingredients ( Pastry cream) 
60g sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1/5 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp vanilla extract
150 ml of milk

1. Simmer milk and vanilla extract. 
2. Mix sugar and egg yolks until even.
3. Add corn starch
4. Whisking constantly, slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Strain the mixture if egg starts to curdle. pour mixture back into saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until it thickens and remove from heat. 
5. Add butter and mix evenly. 
6. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.

You Might Also Like

0 comments