Banana squares

  Week 15: Exam week. But this is also the LAST week of school for Year 1 Semester 1! School has been so busy, especially towards the end of...

 

Image

Week 15: Exam week. But this is also the LAST week of school for Year 1 Semester 1! School has been so busy, especially towards the end of semester. There were endless project presentations and report deadlines to meet. I've been returning to school almost everyday for the past three weeks and i haven have proper time spent with my family for a long time. On the bright side, I am looking forward to FRIDAY (my last paper)!!! After which will be a looooooong SUMMER BREAK for about 2-3 months! Can't wait for summer then i will resume my healthy lifestyle and spending lots of time in the kitchen, trying out the different recipes that i have bookmarked! I've been craving for bananas recently and this explains my sudden consecutive banana posts. HAHAHA. Talking about banana squares, I love those from fourleaves. Craving for them so i decided to bake them myself. I thought the cakes were a little too moist. I used 5 bananas but my bananas weren't exactly very very ripe.

Recipe (original recipe adapted from here)

90g canola or sunflower oil
- 90g castor sugar (which I reduced to 70g)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 125g flour (plain flour is fine)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 or 5 medium-sized very, very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 25g regular or skimmed milk
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp rum (enhance the banana flavor)
1. In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Leave some chunks if you want bits of banana in your cake.

2. Add milk, sugar, oil, rum and combine using a small whisk.

3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder and baking soda, and give a quick mix.
* Note: I only sifted the baking soda because it tends to be lumpy. Didn't even bother with the flour or baking powder. 

4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk gently to combine (don't whip and introduce air into the batter). As long as no traces of flour remain, you are ready to bake. Yes, 2 bowls, 1 fork, 1 whisk. That's it.

5. Pour into a lined square tin.

6. Bake at 175°C for about 30mins, or until a skewer comes out clean. 


Image

You Might Also Like

0 comments