Teh Si Puff Cakes

Teh Si, one of the most common drink we order at the coffee shops. During school term, i used to drink teh almost every morning for a cer...

DSC_0999
Teh Si, one of the most common drink we order at the coffee shops. During school term, i used to drink teh almost every morning for a certain period of time. It was so addictive. I love the combination of black tea and milk. Simply love the aroma of teh. I haven came across any Teh Si cakes before this. Seen earl grey or green tea cakes before, but Teh Si cakes? Nah. Tried to google online but can't find any Teh Si cakes. Indeed an authentic asian flavor, surely worth a try right? I make several adjustments to the original recipe.These puff cakes are very fine and moist. (I call them puff cakes because they look so cute and puffy!) My puff cakes have a strong brown sugar taste. If i were to bake again, i will get  a stronger Teh Si than the average cups  to enhance the flavor. (Maybe Teh Si gao gao?) If you disklike the taste of brown sugar, use light brown sugar. I used dark brown sugar, so i guess the taste is slightly stronger. You can add cinnamon or nutmeg too. I didnt have any so i omitted them.  I'll be submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #30: it's Tea time! (April 2013) hosted by Food Playground. This is my 2nd time participating in Aspiring Bakers. My first entry was Healthier Honey Dew Sago for Aspiring Bakers #20: Asian dessert buffet 10 months ago! Wow, how time flies.

Recipe: (Original recipe adapted from "Cupcakes with Attitude by Benjamin Wong"  Makes 6 medium cupcakes)
Ingredients: 

Teh Si - 50 ml
Brown sugar - 50g
Butter- 62.5g
1 egg
Cake flour- 75g
Baking Powder- 3/4 tsp.
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius. Line muffin tray with cupcake liners.
2. Mix cake flour and baking powder. Sift them.
3. Cream butter in an electric mixer for a few minutes . Gradually add brown sugar and continue to beat until well combined.
4. Add eggs and beat until mixture is well plended, light and fluffy.
5. Add cinnamon and nutmug here if you are using, Mix well.
6. Fold in the flour. Stop immediately once all the flour has been incorporated into the mixture.
7. Add Teh Si into the mixture. Mix well.
8. Spoon batter into cupcake liners. Bake for about 18-20 minutes. Remove these puff cakes from tray and place on wire rack to cool. Enjoy!


DSC_1003

DSC_1023

Look at how moist these puff cakes are. :>

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wow! So happy that you always support me when I'm hosting AB! Thanks so much for your support! I like to drink Teh Si too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! You're most welcome! It must be not easy to collate all our entries! Thank you for the effort!! I am looking forward to your next hosting for AB! :D

    ReplyDelete