Low Fat Orange Yoghurt Cake

So i was saying this week is my diet week right? Hence, I baked this Low Fat Orange Yoghurt Cake to complement my self-proclaimed healt...


So i was saying this week is my diet week right? Hence, I baked this Low Fat Orange Yoghurt Cake to complement my self-proclaimed healthy week. My brother in law brought some big and rosy oranges back home and they were super sweet. My sis loves orange flavored cakes. Therefore, I decided to bake orange cakes for her. Browsing some recipes online and I came across this from Happyhomebaking.  I baked the batter in a disposable 4X8 inch aluminium tin and there was still some excess batter. So i baked the rest of the batter in a ramekin. After baking so many times for my family, I grew to understand the types of cakes that my folks prefer. My mum prefers light, airy cakes, just like chiffon cakes, probably because she doesn't fancy sweet stuff. On the other hand, my pop is more open to the different types of cakes. But i realize that he really likes to eat raisins because whenever i bake a cake, he will suggests adding some raisins. So, this recipe yields a pretty dense cake, close to a pound cake but not as dense as a pound cake. Well, i get different reviews from the people who tried. Some liked the cake, some said it was average. I thought it was slightly dry even though i controlled the  oven temperature with an additional oven thermometer. I also added a ramekin of water for the cake to retain it's moisture while it is baking in the oven. Looking at the recipe, there's indeed quite alot of flour required. However, i guess this is still pretty heathy as they use non-fat yoghurt and the ratio of butter to flour is also pretty low too. So if you are looking for a healthier cake, you can consider this too! :>

Ingredients: 
250g of Cake Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp salt
70g Butter
Zest of 1 Orange
170g of Sugar
2 eggs
1cup of Non Fat- Yoghurt
1tsp Vanilla Essence
3 tbsp of Orange Juice
Almond Flakes

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease your loaf pan. 
2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. 
3. Mix yoghurt, vanilla essence and orange juice in a bowl. 
4. Beat butter and range zest. Add Sugar. 
5. Add eggs gradually, about 1 tbsp at a time. 
6. Beat  1/3 of flour mixture. Continue whisking and beat 1/2 yoghurt mixture. 
7. Add in 1/2 of the remaining flour mixture . Continue beating and beat in the remaining yoghurt mixture and the remaining flour mixture. 
8. Scrape into prepared pan. Top with some almond flakes and bake for 45 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean!

You Might Also Like

0 comments