Braided Butter Sugar Bread

I can no longer find such traditional braided butter sugar bread loaf from the commercial bakeries such as Breadtalk and Fourleaves. This...

I can no longer find such traditional braided butter sugar bread loaf from the commercial bakeries such as Breadtalk and Fourleaves. This is one of my favorite bread that I always get from the traditional bakeries and they taste best when they are slightly warm. I love the sprinkles of sugar on the slightly buttered bread. They are so soft and fluffy and I can finish one whole loaf on my own. So I attempt baking them with the same recipe as the assorted pull apart bread. I sprinkled the bread with very fine sugar which I regretted. Personally, I think I would prefer slightly coarser sugar as bread topping so i can actually taste the crunch of the sugar topping. 

Recipe: Adapted from Ellena Guan ( Make 2 loaves) 
350g Bread Flour 
10g Milk Powder 
6g Instant Yeast 
50g sugar 
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten lightly 
120g Tang Zhong 
125ml Fresh Milk 
30g Butter, soften 

For topping: 
2 tbsp Melted butter 
Sugar
Egg wash

1. Mix flour, milk powder, yeast, sugar and salt together
2. Make a well in the centre and add in all the wet ingredients: egg, tang zhong and butter. Stir or mix them till they form a sticky dough and slowly pour milk into the mixture. 
3. Hand knead it until it is a smooth and elastic ball and drizzle a little oil on the surface of the dough.
4. Leave it in a warm area to proof for 45mins - 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size. 
5. Punch the doubled sized dough and simply hand knead it and leave it to rest for about 3-5 mins
6. Divide the dough into 12 balls and roll each ball into strips. Braid 3 strips together and take 2 braids and place it in a lightly oiled loaf pan. Let it proof for another 45 mins. Brush egg wash onto the risen bread dough. Drizzle melted butter and top with sugar. 
7. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees
8. After 45 mins, pop it into the oven for about 20 mins or until golden brown. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments