Green Papaya Soup with White Fungus

This is one of my favourite soups but I don't understand why the soup stalls in food courts and coffee shops do not have this on thei...

This is one of my favourite soups but I don't understand why the soup stalls in food courts and coffee shops do not have this on their menu. I only got to discovered this gem until a few months ago when my mum helped to prepare my sister's confinement meals for a month after she gave birth to Zachary. I love how creamy the papayas cause the soup to be. Green papaya soup is one of the most important dishes during a mother's confinement period especially when she is breastfeeding her child as they help in the production of breast milk. I could drink 4-5 bowls in a day whenever my mum cooked this. Since I have yet to start my internship, I've been preparing lunch and dinner for my sis while she takes care of Zachary. With the organic papayas that my aunt from Malaysia planted on her own and the detailed instructions from my mum, I managed to prepare this on my own and they were really delicious. The papayas tasted very similar to potatoes and I can indulge in them without guilt. HAHAHA. 

Recipe: serves 3
1 green papaya ( about the size of your palm)
Approximately 350-400g Fish Bone ( I buy "Threadfin Head Bone" from the supermarket)
1.5 handful of Peanuts
5 Dry Fungus
1.5 handful of red and black dates
1 Carrot
1 Big Onion
Threadfin fish meat
Sesame Oil
About 4-5 Litres of water

1. Soak peanuts in water for about 15-25 mins
2. Soak your dry fungus in water and cut away the hard base of each fungus
4. Peel the skin of the onion and slice the entire bulb into quarters but not cutting all the way down
4. Peel the green papaya with a peeler and spoon out the seeds. Slice them into pieces. Peel the carrot skin and chop them into chunks.
5. Using a big pot, drizzle some sesame oil into the pot and make sure the base is well coated with sesame oil. Wait till the oil is hot and smoke can be seen fuming from the pot. Switch off the fire.
6. Lightly pan fry the fish bone on both sides with the hot sesame oil.
7. Remove the fish bone from the pot onto a plate.
8. Fill the pot with water (Do not have to wash the pot)
9. Throw in the diced green papaya, peanuts, red and black dates, chopped carrot, onion into the pot and let it simmer for about 30 mins after it first boils.
8. Throw in fungus and fish bone and let it simmer for about 1-2 hours or until desired consistency and thickness of the soup. You may season with salt if it is not salty for your preference. Enjoy!



You Might Also Like

0 comments