Oatmeal for Breakfast

What did you have for breakfast today? A fat filled donut or those piping hotcakes drizzled with maple syrup from Mcdonalds or the authenti...

What did you have for breakfast today? A fat filled donut or those piping hotcakes drizzled with maple syrup from Mcdonalds or the authentic Singaporean hawker economical fried beehoon and stir-fried carrot cake? These food which are high in sugar and carbohydrates makes you full only for a brief period of time. Weight watchers, stay away from all these and seek healthier alternatives. Oats are one of the healthiest food. I have them for breakfast at least 4 times a week. I start my day with a bowl of nourishing oatmeal. Oatmeal is a good source of fiber and they keep you full and satisfied for a long time. I am not talking about those 3 in 1 instant packet cereal which are loaded with tons of sugar. I am referring to the old fashioned rolled oats.While oats are generally healthy, you might backfire your diet plan if you add lots of sugar and unhealthy cereal to compensate its 'blandness' taste. This defeats the purpose of eating oats anymore. The healthier way is to get your source of sweetness and crunch from healthy alternatives such as fruits, nuts etc... As for me, I usually add honey or peanut butter if my oatmeal is too bland. Banana is my all time favourite fruit to add to oatmeal. I mash half the banana and mix evenly with the oatmeal and dice the other half as topping.
So whenever I am home, I would have a bowl of piping hot oatmeal for breakfast. The combination of the creamy nutty flavor from the peanut butter and crunch from granolas and walnuts is amazing. I always get my oats from Quaker. They have 2 kinds of oats, quickcook and instant. On days that I am too lazy to cook, I make do with the instant oatmeal where I just need hot water to prepare it. The instant oatmeal like porridge. Personally, I prefer the consistency of the quick cook oatmeal. 

Whenever I have morning classes during school days, this is what I will usually prepare for breakfast! This bowl of overnight rolled oats contains rolled oats, milk and yoghurt. I am hooked to eating this bowl of goodness and I literally have this almost everyday ( at least 4 times per week). Overnight rolled oats is a hearty and healthy breakfast packed with fiber, nutrients and vitamins. Don't underestimate this small bowl of overnight rolled oats because it keeps me really full and satisfied. There is no cooking involved. I usually prepare the night before, pop it into the fridge and bring it to school the next day. It is best to consume it while it is still cold since it contains dairy products. Enjoy!

Recipe for Hot oatmeal: 1 serving 
1/3 cup of "quick cook" oats ( can use instant oats too where you only require Hot water to prepare)
120 ml of water
1/2 Mashed banana
1/2 Diced Banana or any other fruit topping
Honey (optional)
Peanut Butter (optional)
Granola or cereal (moderation is important**)

1. Boil water in a saucepan.
2. Add the "quick cook" oats and let it simmer until desired consistency (usually 2-3 mins)
3. In a bowl, mash a banana
4. Pour the oatmeal into the bowl of mashed banana and mix evenly. Add peanut butter spread or honey at this step if you intend to.
5. Top with diced bananas and other toppings. Serve while it is hot.

Recipe for Overnight Rolled Oats: 1 serving
1/3 cup of Low Fat Milk
1/3 cup of yoghurt ( I used non-fat yoghurt)
1/3 cup of rolled oats
A handful grapes ( or any other fruit topping)
3/4 tsp Honey
1. Mix everything together.
2. Pop in the fridge for a night.
3. Eat the next morning, serve while it is cold.

You Might Also Like

0 comments