Italy - Pisa

Pisa was the second city I headed to in Italy. I spent 3 damn hours walking around with my huge bag pack to find my damn hostel because th...

Pisa was the second city I headed to in Italy. I spent 3 damn hours walking around with my huge bag pack to find my damn hostel because the location on hostelworld was incorrect and no one knows where the hostel was even though we tried to ask the locals. Nevertheless, the unpleasant start did not spoil our trip.
This is the view from the top of the leaning tower. 
At Pisa, the main attraction is none other than The Leaning Tower of Pisa. This city is really small and I covered in less than a day. It is pretty amusing to watch how others are trying to pose with the leaning tower. I paid 18 to enter both the Torres tower and the Cathedral of Pisa and we bought some food to picnic at the grass patch near the Pisa tower. 

Up till now, the real identity of Pisa tower remains a mystery. The first phase of work is credited to both Bonanno Pisano and Gerrardo din Gherardo. The second phase of construction is attributed to Giovani di Simone and finally, Tommaso Pisano was the architect who finished the work. The tower is tilted by 5 degrees. While climbing up the leaning tower, I could actually feel the difference in gravity and the tower leaning towards one direction. 

The Cathedral of Pisa is one of my favourite Cathedral so far. It is a masterpiece of Romansque architecture. 
While it may not have the most magnificent façade as compared to the others, what really attracted me are the interior architecture and the overall ambience once I entered the cathedral. Perhaps there were fewer tourists in the cathedral, it felt so much more peaceful and calmer compared to the others.
The interior of the cathedral is covered with black and white marble, with a glided coffered ceiling, rich in frescoes. The cathedral houses some of the great medieval arts in the world and is furnished with antique furnitures and paintings, giving a grand and majestic image. 
For dinner, we shared a sandwich from one of the random stall on the streets and it turned out to be really delicious. You can choose your fillings and sauce or simply get the shop owner to recommend you.
We got the shop's classic sandwich and it was filled with pork and spicy pesto sauce. The pork skin was extremely crispy but slightly salty for my preference. Nevertheless, they still tasted delicious. It costs 4 -5 euros (depending on the type of filling) for a medium baguette size sandwich. 

Pisa is a pretty small town which can be covered in a day. We took a train to Florence from Campo Di Marte train station. The train to Florence leaves almost every half an hour and you can purchase the ticket from the train station. There is no need to book online and it is an open ticket for the entire day. There is a baggage counter at the train station  and it costs 4 euros for the first 12 hours for 1 baggage.

You Might Also Like

0 comments